Sunday, July 24, 2011

Review: Fins Are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs

My first review day!  Yay!!  I hope the review is good, as far as how I write it, it’s going to take me a couple weeks to get used to writing reviews though, sometimes I just start summarizing the story, which I caught myself doing already when I wrote this post.

Today I am reviewing Tera Lynn Child’s most recent book Fins Are Forever, which is the second in the “Fins” series.  The cover art and description are from Goodreads.

Title: Fins Are Forever


Series: Fins #2


Pages: 272


Author: Tera Lynn Childs

Description: On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mergirl, true, but signing the renunciation will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being-human thing once and for all.
Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, the waves start to get rough. Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody?
The seafoam on the raging surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up—Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her own dreams?
Tera Lynn Childs’s sequel to Forgive My Fins offers another tail-flicking romance with plenty of fun, sun, and underwater adventure.

My thoughts: First of all, beautiful cover! I definitely think the cover of this one is better than Forgive My Fins, but they're both really pretty.  I have been anticipating this book since I finished Forgive My Fins.  I absolutely love Tera Lynn Childs’ writing (her other series, Oh. My. Gods. is great too).  I knew I would love it, because I loved the first one, but it was reassuring to be sucked in after only a chapter.  So, this book leaves off right where the last one ended.  Lily and Quince have just gotten together, and past the separation of their bond (which turned out to be sort of a mistake since they’re together now anyway, and super in love).  The characters really broadened in this book, I loved learning more about everyone, except Lily’s aunt Rachel who doesn’t show up much.  Dosinia, or Doe for short, has gotten herself into some trouble in this book, which is not such a shock for Doe since she’s always breaking rules, and not caring about the consequences.  This time though, she’s gotten herself exiled from Thalassinia, which I think is pretty awesome, because really, who is that badass to get themselves exiled, especially when she’s the king’s niece?  This girl obviously did something terrible… which she fails to tell anyone for the majority of the book, when even the king won’t tell Lily what’s going on with Doe, she starts to worry that her cousin really did do something terrible.  As the description says, when Doe hits land, she has her sights set on Brody, Lily’s Brody.  This sends Lily into shock at first and everyone is confused because Doe is supposed to hate humans.  Doe is supposed to be living with Lily to get past her hate for the humans, and learn something about how humans function.  Let’s just say, Doe is not the best mergirl fitting in as a human.  When Lily goes home to Thalassinia for her dress fittings, we get to see outside the palace walls for a bit, and then there’s the birthday ball for Lily’s eighteenth birthday, which requires tons of planning, and of course, a beautiful dress for the birthday girl made by her best friend Peri.  The story wraps up very nicely, but still leaves so much yet to be answered.  This book is a great read, it’s short, but fun.  There is so much going on in this story and everything that I want to spill about it, would be spoiling it, so I’ll leave it at it’s awesome and I highly recommend it.  Books like this one are my favorite because I always know there’s going to be a happy ending, even if the journey there is a bit rocky.  I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book in the series.

Overall Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They make me super happy, I read all of them and try to respond to most of them!

This is now an award free blog, I'm super flattered to be chosen for awards, but I can't find time to complete the requirements to pass them on. Thanks!