Saturday, October 8, 2011

Saturday Discussion (1): Choosing a Book


This is a weekly event hosted by my Big Sis Amber at Down the Rabbit Hole.  This event is to highlight fun things to discuss about blogging, reading, or life.

This week’s discussion topic is:
How do you choose a book?

So many factors go into how I choose a book.  When I’m looking down the aisles of Barnes & Noble (the only bookstore around my house), I look at the covers that pop out first.  Whether it be because they’re bright and amazing looking, or if they’re plain and un-naturally boring looking. 

One of my favorite covers on my shelf: Need by Carrie Jones.  (I mean, how GORGEOUS are these covers)?!  I can’t even tell you if I read this book’s description before I bought it. I saw this cover and absolutely HAD to have it on my shelf.  Then at the Borders closing sale I found Captivate and without reading that description I bought it (it was only like $3 so I had to get it and it’s SO pretty)!






The first book that comes to mind when I think of the plain and un-naturally boring looking ones is Want To Go Private? by Sarah Darer Littman.  When I first saw this book on the shelf I thought it was the back of the book because it’s just lines of words, but the back of the book just has praise for other books by the author.  I read the description and I definitely think it sounds like a great book.  I love plain covers like this one, I don't really know why, but I do.  I didn’t pick this one up (because I was broke when I saw it), but I plan to get it sometime. :)
 
After the cover sucks me in (or the title, I sometimes scan for titles along the shelves too), I read the back cover (or inside flap) description.

 Beyond that, I rely on the blogs I follow for recommendations about books, I look at other people’s ratings (not usually the reviews because I don’t want to be spoiled), and the ones I remember most the next time I go to the store are the ones I pick up and decide there if I like it or not.

 If the description of the book and the cover haven’t totally sold me but I’m on the fence I’ll usually open to a random page and start reading, if I’m still flipping through it a few minutes later I tend to buy it.  If I only get through a half a page, I put it back. 
 
I also have a few authors that anything they publish I will buy right away, without reading the blurb or looking at the cover.
 
How do you choose your books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They make me super happy, I read all of them and try to respond to most of them!

This is now an award free blog, I'm super flattered to be chosen for awards, but I can't find time to complete the requirements to pass them on. Thanks!